1. Expired permits become valid again
Act CXXX of 2021 on Certain Regulatory Issues Related to the Emergency Situation regulated the validity of specific documents entitling to residency.
According to Section 13 of the mentioned Act, residence permit, permanent resident permit and immigration permit documents expired or expiring between 4th November 2020 and 28th February 2022 , which were issued pursuant to Act I of 2007 on the entry and residence of persons having the right of free movement and residence and Act II of 2007 on the entry and residence of third-country nationals- with the exception of short-stay entry visas and visa documents entitling the holder to obtain a residence permit– shall be valid until 30th June 2022.
Thus, residence permits expired or expiring in the above period, regardless of their type, are valid until 30th June 2022.
It is important to note that a residence permit differs from a visa permit, hence the above rules do not apply to visas, only to residence permits (and to permanent residence permit and immigration permits).
The validity of documents expiring after 28th February 2022 shall not be extended either, and provision shall be made for their extension in due time.
2. Regulations that are not applicable
During the procedure for the extension of such documents:
- Section 37 (4) of Government Decree 113/2007 (V.24.) on the execution of Act I of 2007 on the entry and residence of persons having the right of free movement and residence;
- and Section 47 (6) of Government Decree 114/2007 (V.24.) on the execution of Act II of 2007 on the entry and residence of third-country nationals;
are not applicable.
- The application for an extension CAN be submitted later than the 30th day before the expiry of the period of validity of the residence card to the regional directorate responsible for the place of residence of the third-country national family member.
- An application for the extension of a residence permit or for the issue of a national residence permit CAN be submitted on a form provided for that purpose by special legislation later than 30 days before the expiry of the period of validity of the residence permit or national visa.